Sunday 5 August 2012

A Scottish Jamboree

So, what I have been up to since I last posted?

Well, it is shaping up to be an awesome summer, and to top it all I have received a distinction for my Science course - I now have a certificate in Natural Science!

A couple of weekends ago we were up in Blair Atholl for the bi-annual Scout Jamboree.

Hundreds of Scouts from all over the world descend on Scotland for a fortnight to do usual scout stuff - bushcraft, hiking, climbing, fencing - you name it. But most importantly it seems to be about mixing with people all around the world and making new friends.

Great for any teenager to be a part of.

We went along for the open day. Lots of food stalls from all over the world, where you could stuff yourself for around £2 on chicken teriyaki, Dutch waffles, BBQ lamb, S'mores etc. etc.



In the afternoon we sat in the sunshine and enjoyed looking out over the site.



There are 6 sub camps where the Scots host the international patrols.


Then the evening is rounded off with a good old fashioned campfire and sing-song.
Here's the scouts with some torches of their own ready to light the fire.





Made me reminisce a lot about my guiding days, even if I was never part of anything as big as this. Nice to see Scouting on the increase again and hopefully it's events like this that draw the numbers in.

No comments:

Post a Comment