Wednesday 15 August 2012

Olympic cheer

There is one obvious thing that all of us British will look back on this year - the year of the Olympics.

The Jubilee is a distant memory - maybe it was the crowd's version of a warm up?

The Olympics has eclipsed utterly though. 2 weeks of total excitement, filling the papers each day. Me eagerly looking at the medals tables every lunchtime and hometime to see if we'd notched up anymore.

So I'm a total patriot, I genuinely believe Britain is Great, and it was nice to see for once everyone else has come round to my way of thinking.

As well as all our medal success, the opening ceremony stands out for me: I was gripped the whole time, and summed up both my country and my city perfectly.

I was kicking around London at the start of proceedings. London had a lovely buzz to it, and clearly a sense of generosity (I left my phone in the loos at Selfridges Oxford Street, and thought it was a gonna, yet someone wonderful handed in). And the weather was hot and great.

I was there for family reasons. Spending time with distant relatives that I don't get to see much of. Travelling up to London, and more chilling over drinks and food in the sun rather than rush rush rush.
Here's the Thames at Richmond where we paused for cider and Pimms.



And here's the closest I got to the Olympic events (was feeling nice so gave my rowing tickets to my family).

Very civilised way to get to the games - via a boat along the Thames from Windsor Castle!











Everyone was dead surprised at all the friendliness in London and the high spirits. Which is funny, because I think Londoners are really friendly and happy people most of the time anyway - the grumpy commuter image is just a front really.


No comments:

Post a Comment